Damn the torpedoes. Allow me to present, a work in progress – and absolutely not finished, a new look of my blog.
One of the best signs of spring and summer is that I get the urge to tinker with my blog. Right now I’m going through very old posts and making sure that the images in them aren’t broken. Also, I think I’m going to redo the blog’s theme from scratch.
Here’s some thought I wrote down for myself late yesterday.
- A hamburger menu is boring but expected, almost demanded, of a modern site so I’ll probably use one.
- The categories doesn’t mean anything anymore.
- The main taxonomy is the Post Kinds.
- Most posts will be either a note or a Photo.
- What used to be snapshots are moved to photos post kinds.
- Post kinds are distinguished from each other on the homepage and similar pages using slightly different background colors.
- Tags are highly important.
- Therefore they should be displayed prominently in the UI.
- And be chosen carefully. They should describe the content of a post, not the kind of post it is. I.e. a photo of Iris should be tagged with Iris but not with Photo, Snapshot or something similar.
- Inline comments on home and archive pages is great!
- The problem with not caring about categories is posts that have a substantial amount of text and an audio file. Are they podcasts, i.e. Audio post kinds, or are they notes/articles? With categories I can use multiples. With post kinds it is either or.