Yes, this tutorial more or less works for me now. The more or less part is that the values I read is quite unstable. I wonder if that is because I’m not using a proper power supply for the Pi. I need to investigate further another day.
New plan instead of the now abandoned NoPodcastvember: I’ll switch from Overcast to Castro.
The idea is to still listen to podcasts but to train myself into being more conscious of what I’m listening to on an episode basis, rather than a show basis. If a show generally makes me annoyed but occasionally talks about things I care about I’ll just skip every single episode that isn’t clearly about the things I care about.
So after four hours of work, in more or less a panic, after a regular eight hour workday – turn’s out the latest version of Avid MediaComposer installs an AMA plugin that completely f*s up Pro Tools ability to play video. I hate computers.
Tonight I managed to sit down and experiment with the GPIOs of the Raspberry Pi. I think I’m getting the hang of how they work now but I gotta say, this is the first thing I’m doing with the Pi where I feel like it lacks a lot compared to the Arduino.
Anyway, I got some basic buttons working. Tomorrow, or whenever I sit down with it again, I’ll give the level potentiometer a go again.
The plan right now is to 3D print a sort of beta enclosure for the πFi Music Player. Maybe the final product will have an enclosure built out of wood and/or metal, so maybe this is just a temporary solution but it at least gives me something less brittle than a couple of Lego bricks to hold it together while I experiment with it.
We have a 3D printer at work that I can use but I’ve never 3D printed anything, nor have I 3D modelled anything so I have quite some learning to do.
A friend recommended that I’d use Fusion360 because it’s a very capable program that’s also free for academics. I downloaded and opened it, and quickly closed it again because it felt like something completely alien to me.
The same friend then recommended this tutorial on Fusion360 to get started, and while I haven’t applied what I saw in it yet at least it feels like I now know somewhat where to start.
Tonight I tried to get the volume control working for the πFi. I followed a guide on how to make it, but I failed miserably. I’m still not sure what it is that isn’t working, and that’s the problem.
I have zero prior experience with using the GPIO’s of the Raspberry Pi, and using them while using the HiFiBerry makes it even more complicated so I need to rethink this.
I’m going to place an order for a proper break-out board for the GPIO and some additional components to be able to breadboard and try things out, and I’ll need to put the physical controls part of the project on hold until that has been delivered.
The Raspberry Pi Camera module does seem to work for the music player, but it did cause me some headaches initially.
The first problem I encountered seemed to stem from a sloppy physical installation of the camera. Once I removed it from the Pi and inserted it back in, it worked.
The second problem seems to be that by default the camera cropped the sensor data, so the QR code couldn’t be read as close to the camera as I wanted. Adding --prescale=640x480 as and argument to zbarcam appears to have solved the problem.
Tomorrow I’ll try using the HiFi Berry Amp2 as well.
It appears that I was quite good at documenting my work on the music player, so I’m up and running again now.
Previously I’ve used an old USB webcam (actually a PlayStation eyeToy Camera) as the scanner and it has worked fine. However I wanted something different in the long run, so yesterday I bought a camera module for the Raspberry Pi.
The main thing I’m doing tonight, apart from getting back to where I were, is to test whether this particular camera works or not. So far it has not been plug and play but maybe it was foolish of me to expect that. As I’m writing this I’m doing a apt-get update and apt-get upgrade and then I’ll have to do some configuration in raspi-config.
Also, I’m starting to get reaaaaaaally tired so I’ll probably call it a night pretty soon. I blame daylight savings time.
iOS 13 managed to turn inputting things into Remainders from a simple thing into an insanely enjoying one. Having to pause for a second between pressing return on one item and starting to write the next one is terrible when compiling a shopping list.
After having had it disconnected for a long time I’m currently plugging my DroboFS back in to migrate some files from it before finally sending it to a farm upstate and I gotta say, the slowness of something as simple as having it boot and connect to it makes me wonder why I ever got the damn thing.
We’re three episodes in on *Stranger Things* season three. So far the lows are lower than before because it gets sillier than usual but it’s also much more scary than previous seasons so I think I like it more than season two.